Polk County Historical Society
What's New at the Museum
A New Look for the Museum
The museum reopened on January 7, 2009 after a three-month hiatus during which the museum was painted, crumbling plaster was repaired, and the 87-year-old building was fitted with storm windows.
This work was made possible by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Historic Preservation Division, the City of Cedartown and the skill and scrupulous attention to antiquity restoration performed by Eddie Hilburn and Polk Painters.
The museum features an attractive Cherokee Indian exhibit on loan from Jerry Stroup; a homemade still confiscated from an abandoned warehouse by the local police; a display of local celebrities including Sterling Holloway who was the voice of Winnie The Pooh; and, a pictorial history of the Murphy Harpst Children's Centers.
Selections from the museum's most popular temporary exhibits are also on display: the Boy Scouts in Cedartown; the Armed Forces Exhibits; the Goodyear Mill, 1926-1982; the Cedartown High School Band, as well as, images of Cedartown's classic Main Street from the early twentieth century.
A Restored Fountain for the Garden
The fountain, that you see here, stood for over 50 years on the courthouse lawn. It had been moved to Peek Forest Park (at the request of the Daffodil Garden Club) when the new courthouse was built in the early 1950's. There it stood for many years, but it was falling into disrepair.
Following the establishment of the Society in 1974 and acquisition of the Museum, several members led by Ella Bruner began discussing the use of a vacant lot behind the Museum for a garden. That lot owned by the city was added to the Society's lease. Jane Wyatt suggested Dan Franklin, a landscape architect, whom she knew, look at the property and suggest a plan.
The fountain was one of several civic features shown to Franklin. He felt, and society members agreed, that this fountain could serve as a focal point for the garden. Once more, the City Commission was approached and asked if they would move the fountain to the center of the hoped-for garden. They agreed to do this. The Daffodil Garden Club was then asked for their permission to move the fountain, which was granted.
By 2009 the garden and especially the fountain needed a face-lift. An ad hoc Garden Committee was appointed to make recommendations and they decided to first focus on the repair and restoration of the fountain.
The job was done by Robinson Iron Works, the Alabama specialty firm that maintains the famous Savannah fountains, and others throughout the country. Understandably, to conserve water, it wonít be in operation all the time; it now has a recirculating system.
The restored fountain was reinstalled in the Garden in time for the Society's annual picnic, June 2009. Water gracefully spurted from the top, filled all three bowls to overflowing, filled the pool and recycled! As Society President Tom Lowe commented in the Fall 2009 Newsletter, "If you havenít already done so, be sure to drop by the garden and check out the fountain and the craftsmanship that went into the restoration: outstanding!"