Origins of the Museum and the Society
The great concern to preserve the
heritage of Polk County brought together a representative group of citizens
from Rockmart, Cedartown, and surrounding communities to organize and
establish a historical society. On June 3, 1974, a charter was obtained for
The Polk County Historical Society, Inc.
The Society is headquartered in a
beautiful building on College Street in Cedartown. The building was designed
by noted Georgia architect Neel Reid. Erected in 1921, it was originally the
Hawkes Children's Library. A grant from the state provided extensive
renovations and made the building an ideal site for a museum. In 1980 the
building was placed on the National register of Historic Places, the first
structure in Polk County to receive this honor. The Society desires to
preserve the building and maintain a museum therein.
The drawing of the building, above, is
used with the permission of the local artist, Martiti Camp Mundy.
The first floor of the building with
its spacious display area houses the museum. Of special interest is the
Palladian window, a Neel Reid hallmark. The lower floor includes storage and
exhibit space, a kitchen and a meeting room with seating for 100 people. The
museum was opened formally in September of 1978 with an interesting display
of artifacts from this area. Each year the collection of photographs,
newspapers, documents, and artifacts has grown, and gifts to the museum are
still being accepted. The museum is opened to the public every Wednesday from
1:30 pm to 4:00 pm and the last Sunday of each month from 2:00 to 5:00 pm.
Immediately behind the building is a
formal garden built around a fountain that stood for many years on the old
Courthouse grounds. Inserted in the wall is the grillwork of the clock from
the old Courthouse.
There are photos of the museum building and exhibits on the Museum page.